Monday, March 11, 2013

WILD & PRECIOUS LIFE



That's me up there teaching a ZUMBA® FITNESS class. I teach five classes a week. I became an instructor in September 2011 at the young age of fifty. I am not telling you this to brag.

I want you to know that every single time I get up to teach a class, and many moments during the class the number one thought that goes through my mind is THANK YOU.

The older I get, the more thankful I become for my good health. I have been blessed with a healthy body and, more importantly the will to take care of it!

I grew up with a mother who was ill my entire life, until she died at sixty three years old. I never once saw her dance that I can remember. She struggled to take care of herself on a daily basis.

There have been years in my life where I neglected to care for myself. I gained weight, felt lethargic and mildy depressed. During those moments, the guilt about my ignorance of not caring for the blessing I was given weighed heavily on me. How dare I? What would my mother say?

Now I am seeing many of our friends and family members struggle with aging and failing health. Some of them have conditions that are unavoidable yet they do the best they can with what they have. Others, and this is truly heartbreaking for me, could solve many of their health issues by taking better care of themselves. 

Believe me I understand all the reasons why people struggle to maintain healthy lifestyles. I am also a Weight Watchers program leader and see it all. However, I do know that anyone can overcome those reasons/excuses with patience and persistance. It starts with the decision to accept an imperfect journey that you will never give up on. It starts with you.

"What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" ~ Marianne Williamson








1 comment:

Sunshine said...

This old broad has just signed up for a "Loose the muffin " class and Badminton. That should shake things up a bit. Ann