When I decided to become a Weight Watchers program leader I did it for a few reasons. One selfish reason was to keep myself accountable in maintaining my health and weight. The other was to help inspire others to learn to live a healthy lifestyle.
What I didn’t realize was that I would get as much, if not more inspiration from my members as I would give to them.
This weekend I participated in the 2nd Annual Weight Watchers 5K Walk It Challenge. Over the past few weeks I have been working with my members to get out and walk each week in order to build enough strength and stamina to walk the 5K together.
Part of why I became involved was to push myself to move more over the summer. I tend to slow down in the summer, which leads to weight gain. This was a way for me to commit to more activity and try to maintain through the summer months.
Now, for some of you out there walking 5K may not be a big deal. But, for many people who struggle with their health and weight, it most certainly is a very, very big accomplishment.
I am so grateful for this event as I was able to see dozens of my own members from the six programs that I do each week in one place. What I saw has inspired me in many ways.
- There were members who were there to be a part of something fun and enjoy a nice walk along Barrie’s waterfront.
- There were members there who had been working at walking diligently each week and made it through the walk with more ease than they expected.
- There were members there who struggled with knee and back pain who pushed through right to the end.
- There were members there who had never taken part in something like this, and overcame their fears to walk together.
- There were members there who brought friends and family in hopes of inspiring them.
- There were members there who only a few short months ago would never have thought they could or would do anything like this.
Each one of them inspired me with their enthusiasm, tenacity and commitment to themselves.
I am inspired to do the best with what I have. I am grateful for my health and good fortune to be able to work with such amazing people. Thank you.